Friday, July 27, 2012

My Birthday Blog Part IV. The Challenge of Saying “YES”

We live in a world filled with choices. The free will we have suggests our prerogative of what to choose and in each decision we make, we become responsible with the consequences.

Somewhere along the way, you will deal with people asking something from you. It could be a favor, an assignment or a proposal. Either of these instances necessitates your answer. It could be “yes” or “no” and perhaps “maybe.”

There’s nothing wrong with saying yes. In fact, it is thru agreements between two parties that set the pace of something to happen, be it worthwhile or not. Its impact even goes worldwide that with a single “yes”, everything changes. For instance, the “yes” of Mary has changed the history of mankind and our faith. This I learned in high school managed by Dominican Order of Preachers. 

In my 27 years of existence, I have been to test of saying yes or no to someone. Of the many requests, proposals, etc. asked of me, I often say “yes” and I have come to a point of asking myself, why??? … specially so that I have become more conscious of the consequences of my decisions.

I consider myself as a highly emotional person that I want to make someone be happy because of my favorable response. This goes to my family whom I love so much and would love to give everything that I have. Individuals who have become breadwinners because of financial constraints could relate well with me and they too will agree how we strive hard to give what they need. For the grownups who have been to it also advised not to make them parasites, after all, they can survive in their own ways.

My coming to Iligan City to further my studies welcomed me with more choices to consider. I have been exposed to the MBM Student Board where I take the lead as the president. Assuming the responsibility entails time for planning, organizing and facilitating events. I admit I enjoy the experience and I love what I am doing. Organizing educational trips for instance is a rewarding experience. I get to know more places, culture and business practices. We also have explored outreach activities like visiting home for the aged, giving alms to the needy and participating in tree growing. My schedules for my studies then have changed because I need to spend time for the student board. I believe learning is at its best if there is application, hence my willingness to undergo such.

Being a student also led me to the blogosphere-community of bloggers. With my classmate Lovette who extended some help for my first blog, I already got excited exploring the blogging world. I wanted then to have a website and I wanted to be a journalist :D. True enough, I enjoyed doing it because I can express myself through writing until Iligan Bloggers Society was created. The first meet and greet allowed us to know some of the bloggers in the city and right there and then was the election of officers. Assuming the responsibility as the Vice President was another challenge. It necessitates focus, coordination and time to perform the responsibilities well. I also admit that I enjoyed the first set of experiences but time has come that I could no longer attend to tasks associated with it not to mention other factors.

Worth mentioning also is my membership in Iligan Toastmasters Club. We meet every other Saturday and the experience is truly amazing. With the tension felt during the session, one can appreciate the lessons embedded in each of the speakers’ talk and the confidence developed in public speaking. I also have learned the essence of preparation for every speaking engagement because your performance matters. I admit that I don’t have perfect attendance. Looking forward though to become a competent communicator and hopefully a distinguished toastmaster someday.

More opportunities have come along my way and I learned the following:

·        Before saying yes, we should review your priorities and commitments.
·         Time Management. We should know how to draft a list of schedules and the ways to perform all of the tasks.

·         Anticipation of Learning. We should make learning a goal in every undertaking that we make.

·         Have fun. For every opportunity and endeavour, we should enjoy the moment and share happiness with our colleagues.

·         Stepping stone towards success. I believe opportunities come along our way because these will lead us towards the success we dreamed of.

·         An opportunity to help others. We should also think of our roles of being an inspiration to others.

·         A chance to make a difference. With the learning we get from everything we go through, hope we can make a difference that would be beneficial to everyone.

The challenge of saying yes continues as we explore life. A road of decisions awaits us and for every choice we make, hope we call on to God for guidance and enlightenment. I thank the Lord for everything I’ve gone through. I know all of these serve as a training ground for me to become a better person. J






1 comment:

  1. just like me. i hardly say no to people. and sometimes, i loathe myself for being unable to reject. however, there will always be bright sides to all of our decisions - no matter how bad they may be. :) at the end of the day, we get something from good and bad decisions. so, move along na lang. hihi

    ReplyDelete